Culture and Education: Social Transformations and Multicultural Communication
RC04 Sociology of Education International Sociological Association (ISA)
Institute of Foreign Languages
24-26 July 2019
The current phase of social development is characterized by massive changes in economic, political, social, cultural and other spheres. As globalizing processes intensify in economically developed countries, education becomes one of the key social infrastructure elements. Meanwhile, technological transformations pose significant problems inevitably related to the functioning of the institution of education. In the context of contemporary social development, education is seen as a primary means for increasing the competitiveness of not only countries and regions, but also of individuals. Globalization significantly affects the formation of the knowledge society, within which educational and cultural systems face unprecedented challenges. On the one hand, globalization presents endless possibilities for broadening communication and cultural spaces, thus producing new knowledge and technologies. On the other, it is associated with forces having a highly destructive character, resulting in a continuing transformation of existing notions concerning the proper forms and boundaries of such fundamental societal phenomena as culture and education.
Integration processes have also involved dramatic changes in national education systems, which are currently facing a number of considerable challenges. Thus, the significance of knowledge as an essential principle in the training of highly-qualified specialists is permanently increasing. Today, such professionals are not ready to merely replicate and disseminate information; rather, they are willing to produce new fundamental knowledge. When investigating conventional sociological problems, e.g. inequality, mobility and educational achievements, it becomes essential to consider their cultural aspects. As a result, culture cannot be considered anymore as a passive transition between institutional conditions and human actions. This means that researchers should implement state-of-the-art cultural sociological approaches that are informed by the dimension of multicultural communication.
RC04 Sociology of Education ISA, European University of Cyprus (Cyprus), Institute of Foreign Languages of RUDN (Russia), Institute of Sociology FRSC RAS (Russia), Russian Society of Sociologists (RSS), Faculty of Philology of Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia), Moscow State Linguistic University (Russia)
Aim of the Conference:
The conference is aimed at facilitating discussions, sharing research and building connections between Russian and foreign researchers. The organizers encourage a multidisciplinary approach to the Conference topics.
Issues for discussion:
- Educational culture and society
- Mass media and educational information systems
- Globalization and national education systems: Multicultural policy
- Special or inclusive education: New challenges to education
- New challenges in the sphere of higher education
- Global issues in education, culture and linguistics: Methodology and experience of empirical research
- Institution of scientific leadership: Challenges of academic capitalism
- Education expansion and social inequality: Global and local perspectives
- Educational strategies in national education systems in the context of globalization
- Education and labour market in contemporary and future world
- Teaching profession, teacher-student relationships, school curriculum in the context of globalization
- Transformation of culture and the formation of social medium
- Education and educators in social modernization
- Media representations (or narratives) and contemporary culture
- Intercommunication as a result of globalization and social transformation
- Culture and education in the digital society
- Educational and cultural problems of migrants
- Linguistics and modern languages in the multicultural space of society and education
- Intercultural communication in a transforming society
- Translation and interpretation before the challenges of globalization
- Linguistics and humanities: Interdisciplinarity in science and didactics
- Piotr Sztompka – Prof. Dr. Hab., Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland; Prof. Emeritus, Polish Academy of Sciences, Member Ordinarius.
Theme: Contemporary University: Between the Academic and Corporate Culture
- Marios Vryonides – Co-organizer of Conference in Moscow and President of RC04 Sociology of education, International Sociological Association, Prof. European University Cyprus, Cyprus
Theme: Unintended consequences from the mass participation in higher education: A Global sociological perspective.
Presentation: Unintended consequences from the mass participation in higher education: A Global sociological perspective.
- Miguel Nussbaum – Prof., Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile.
Theme: Higher Order Thinking Skills and Culture.
Presentation: Higher Order Thinking Skills and Culture.
Thematic trends in research publications and the ethical policy of scientific journals
The conference will feature a round table with the chief editors of international scientific journals (Q1) indexed in the international citation databases Scopus and Web of Science:
- Susan L. Robertson – Prof., Cambridge University, England, Editor-in-Chief of the journal Globalisation, Societies and Education (Q1)
Theme: Founding an Inter-Disciplinary Journal to Foster and Disseminate Critical Research on Globalisation, Societies and Education
- Miguel Nussbaum – Prof., Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Editor-in-Chief of the journal Computers and Education (Q1)
Theme: My experience as editor of Computers & Education
Presintation: My experience as editor of Computers & Education
- Chiang Tien-Hui ‑ Distinguished Prof., Zhengzhou University, China, International Sociological Association, Constitutional Standing Committee, the World Congress of Comparative Education Societies, Editorial Board of Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education (Q1), International Journal of Educational Research (Q2), Senior Editor, Cogent Education
Theme:The ethical code of reviewers
Presentation: The ethical code of reviewers
- Elsa Huertas Barros ‑ Lecturer, University of Westminster, UK, Editorial Board of the journal Interpreter and Translator Trainer (Q1)
Theme: Publishing in T&I indexed journals: understanding the process
Presentation: Publishing in T&I indexed journals: understanding the process
In addition to thematic sessions, a Special Methodological Session with the participation of a special guest
- Krystyna Szafraniec ‑ full Professor associated with the Institute of Sociology at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland. Theme: Dynamic and semi-dynamic procedures in sociological studies. Theory and practice in studying social changes phenomenon
Presentation: Dynamic and semi-dynamic procedures in sociological studies. Theory and practice in studying social changes phenomenon
Accepted papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (RSCI indexed) by the RUDN University Publishing House. The Organizers intend to submit a book of selectedconference papers for consideration for indexing in the WoS database. The editorial board reserves the right to reject papers that do not meet the selection criteria or do not fall into the scope of the Conference.